Calling all artists – Enter the Knowsley Open Art Exhibition & Affordable Art Auction at Kirkby Gallery!

Knowsley Open Art Exhibition & Art AuctionThe 18th annual Knowsley Open Art Exhibition is for artists of all ages who live / work / study / volunteer in Knowsley come together to exhibit their 2D artwork in a salon-hang style visual extravaganza!

There are no restrictions on the medium you use, or the subject matter, but pieces must be fitted with mirror-plates. Artists can submit up to two pieces of work, but in the event we are inundated with entries, we will accept just one work per person.

This year, to make the exhibition all the more exciting, the artworks will be sold at a live auction conducted by celebrity auctioneer Adam Partridge, with a percentage of the proceeds going towards the Friends of Kirkby Gallery & Prescot Museum charitable trust to support their work.

Ordinarily in an auction, the seller would pay a fee to the auction house, and the buyer pays a commission fee on top of the “hammer price”,  a percentage of the price they bid. We have decided to keep things easy for the buyers in our Affordable Art Auction, so the price that is bid is the price that is paid. We will deduct the commission from the “hammer price” so that the artist will receive the majority of the “hammer price”, and a percentage goes to the Friends of Kirkby Gallery & Prescot Museum to help cover the cost of buying new equipment and works for the collection.

Artists can submit items into the Open Art Exhibition just for display, or to sell as part of the Affordable Art Auction. For those entering pieces that are not for sale (NFS), there will be a £2 entry fee per NFS artwork. Young Artists (under 18) can enter NFS artworks free of charge.

As in previous years, artists wishing to sell their work set the price of their piece(s), but this year that amount will be a reserve price, meaning that in the auction, bids must reach at least that price otherwise they will not be sold. Of course, in the exciting atmosphere of an auction, there may well be a bidding war and the hammer price could go much higher!

Affordable Art Auction commission tableArtists will receive 70% of the hammer price, with the other 30% going to Friends of Kirkby Gallery & Prescot Museum (unless they choose to give more as a donation).

Please bear this in mind when setting your reserve price. Ultimately, you have to decide the minimum price you are willing to accept for your work, so to make things easier for you, we have made a table of prices showing the amount of commission that would be deducted as a donation. Your reserve price will also function as the insurance value for your piece.

As ever, the public will vote for the Visitor’s Choice for the Open (adults) and Young Artists Open (under 18s), and prizes will be awarded to the three most popular pieces in each category. There will also be the Reg Robinson Award and the Adult Disability Service Award.

Enter Online

Download an entry form to enter by post